What This Is




When I lived in Hong Kong I started blogging. I used Yahoo 360, which no longer exists. Fortunately I saved all my blog posts to my computer. So, I've finally recreating my blog. No pictures, just writing, but lots of it, from our three years living in Asia. Lots of interesting stories (at least to me!)...if you want to find out what we're doing now, check out my current blog. If you want to read about life in Hong Kong from 2006-2009 start reading below!


Thursday, July 28, 2011

Tuesday April 25 2006

A note to the UPT. The part on the wet market is okay, also on Pottinger St.
 
I'm sorry I missed chat this morning (okay, okay, last night for the
rest of you) but it probably was cosmic anyway (heehee). I really
needed to get out that door and do some stuff and I know that if I
had started chatting I wouldn't have gotten as much stuff
accomplished as I did.
 
I have a real Hong Kong ID card! You have to have one if you are
living in Hong Kong. They only advantage I can see if that it makes
the line through customs much, MUCH shorter, but it was just
something I needed to take care of.
 
The biggest deal is, I now, FINALLY, have a Hong Kong credit card!
Remember they told us Lee had to show proof of 3 months salary IN
Hong Kong? Well he screamed and yelled and fussed, but we didn't
think it had done any good. But when we got back from Japan, the
authorization was in the mail! We actually have to go to the BANK to
pick up the credit card, and the cards were at the bank branch
closest to 3M, so that was a bit of an adventure for me. I walked
through a small wet market on the way there and WOW, I guess I won't
be taking Jill there! A bunch of BONES, then some strange veggies,
then a PIG hanging from a hook (dead and looking smoked I think),
then some flip-flops, then some purses, then some dried fish...what
a trip!
 
Then I had to rush to the other side of downtown Hong Kong so that I
wouldn't be late for my very first Hong Kong haircut. The salon was
recommended on the expat website and it definitely met my
expectations. So funny, because the outside was so very much typical
HK. It was on a street called Pottinger (you can look it up on a map
if you want), but its not a street you'll be driving on - it was all
steps, with little markets here and there. In fact there was one for
house plants that I'm going to go back and check out again some
time. Man, I wish I knew how to haggle here! But, once inside the
salon, AHhhhhh! The guy that owns it cut my hair. He's British, been
here 13 years, very nice and he did a great job. They have these
guys that shampoo you first, and holy cow, it was a full head
massage, with nice shampoo. You tip the shampoo guys but that's all.
It wasn't cheap, but that's okay, my hair is such a pain; I'm glad I
can afford to get decent haircuts now in my old age.
 
In around 45 minutes its down to Central again to meet Lee at the
ferry and go out to dinner. What a life!
 
So I missed you guys but don't feel sorry for me...I had a very good
day. I'm finding that its good to stay home one day and then go out
the next. Going out is such an expedition, so its good to take the
next day and stay home and recover. I should probably try to make
Tuesday mornings the day I stay home; that way I will be able to
chat.
 
Oh, and if I had had time to work on it I probably could have either
rebooted my pc or downloaded AIM again and then it would have been
okay.

No comments:

Post a Comment