What This Is




When I lived in Hong Kong I started blogging. I used Yahoo 360, which no longer exists. Fortunately I saved all my blog posts to my computer. So, I've finally recreating my blog. No pictures, just writing, but lots of it, from our three years living in Asia. Lots of interesting stories (at least to me!)...if you want to find out what we're doing now, check out my current blog. If you want to read about life in Hong Kong from 2006-2009 start reading below!


Friday, July 29, 2011

May 15 2006 - Lynn Speaks Cantonese

The other day Lee mentioned that he had found out that most taxi drivers DO know our street; its just that they don't understand what we're saying when we say the street name in English. So yesterday we had a taxi driver with pretty good English and I asked him how to say our street name in Cantonese. It's (very more-or-less) day-lay-gunter-lay. I muttered it to myself for awhile yesterday, but I thought for sure I would forget it before I had a chance to use it.

This morning coming back from Yoga I started my usual routine when I got into the taxi. "Tregunter Path". "Eh?". "May Road to Tregunter Path". "May Load?" "Okay," I said, "let's try this....day-lay-gunter-lay". "Ah, okay!" "Oh wow" I said, laughing, "it worked!" The driver laughed too. It really DID work, he took me right where I wanted to go!

Now I need to learn the Cantonese name for the street that Yoga is on. They NEVER understand that one. I end up telling them to go to Lan Kway Fong, which is the bar area right below it and then just telling the driver to stop a little early. But if I could say that street too, well! Maybe I'll even learn to say a couple of basic things to my maid!!

No comments:

Post a Comment