What This Is




When I lived in Hong Kong I started blogging. I used Yahoo 360, which no longer exists. Fortunately I saved all my blog posts to my computer. So, I've finally recreating my blog. No pictures, just writing, but lots of it, from our three years living in Asia. Lots of interesting stories (at least to me!)...if you want to find out what we're doing now, check out my current blog. If you want to read about life in Hong Kong from 2006-2009 start reading below!


Thursday, July 28, 2011

Thursday April 27th 2006

I bought a dehumidifier today. They aren’t cheap, but I decided I didn’t want to wait until we had a serious mold problem, or clothing ruined by the persistent wetness before I decided if we really need one or not. Things seem perpetually damp here, but you get varying opinions about whether they are really necessary. I decided to err on the side of caution. I got a big one, instead of buying two small ones.

AND I found a Yoga studio and signed up for classes! This is a big deal; it makes Hong Kong seem a lot more like home to me. It’s so different from the little studio I went to in Austin, but I think it will be nice. It’s in Central, which is starting to feel like “my” stomping grounds. I can take the shuttle and then walk several blocks UP one of those really steep streets, or I can take a taxi…or…. on my way back to the shuttle this afternoon I noticed a long escalator (not THE escalator) inside one of the buildings on that side of the road. I’ll just bet I could take that escalator and cut off at least half my climb. The facility is very nice…just very HK…on the 16th floor of a building, 3 different studios, with mirrors on one wall, and all glass on another, so you meditate looking out over the Hong Kong skyline, which to me is one of the prettiest sites I’ve ever seen, so in some ways it seems right, but then, in others, well, its just not the most “peaceful” view…I’d call it an “energetic view”!

If I can work it out I may take my first class there tomorrow. It depends when the dehumidifier is delivered. I have to call and reserve a class time. They usually want you to call 2 days ahead, but they said you can always call and see if there is room. If it doesn’t work out I’ll just wait until next week.

Then I ventured over to Kowloon to try to find the Aveda store. I’ve been to Kowloon now several times with Lee, but this was my first time all on my own. The degree of citiness and the overall intensity just goes up a BUNCH of notches on the other side of the harbor. It’s on the only time I feel somewhat insecure as a woman walking by myself. Just a lot of guys going “Lady, watches? Lady, scarves? Lady! Lady!” And the sidewalks are even more crowded, which hardly seems possible, but they are.

The Aveda store was in one of those elegant malls that provide such a contrast in this city. I happily bought the stuff that I needed, but when I got home I calculated how much I had spent and sheesh, it was a lot more expensive than it is in the US. I guess I had better start stocking up when I’m home….

I wasn’t able to get Lee’s HK ID card for him. I needed the original of his temporary id and he was supposed to sign a special form. Now, WHY didn’t the guy the other day tell me that? What bureaucrats! Lee’s just going to have to do it himself, I guess.

Well I better go make a salad. We’re eating American tonight – frozen pizza!

No comments:

Post a Comment