What This Is




When I lived in Hong Kong I started blogging. I used Yahoo 360, which no longer exists. Fortunately I saved all my blog posts to my computer. So, I've finally recreating my blog. No pictures, just writing, but lots of it, from our three years living in Asia. Lots of interesting stories (at least to me!)...if you want to find out what we're doing now, check out my current blog. If you want to read about life in Hong Kong from 2006-2009 start reading below!


Friday, July 29, 2011

Friday June 9 2006 - Grey's Anatomy!

Well the only way I can say that this entry is even remotely about Hong Kong is that I’m here and this is what I’m thinking about! I’m sure this is very relevant to the modern expat experience however, so here goes.

I watched the 2 hour finale of Grey’s Anatomy on DVD last night. I’m been thinking about this show, and the 2nd season of this show all day. It really is well-done for network TV. The characters are complex, their motives and behaviors rich and well-developed. The show is color-blind, more-so than most of the people that watch it and that makes it educational in a sense. After awhile, I forget about the color of the characters, and they just become themselves. You never see a character’s behavior explained by their race, OR by the race of the person that they are interacting with.

The relationship between Meredith and Derek is enough to make a sane person scream. In this last two hours though, I came to a conclusion. I think Derek is a troubled man. I think his relationship with Meredith is borderline abusive. He is obsessed with her, and he blames HER for his obsession. He is her boss, AND he’s older, by at least ten years I would guess. He is jealous and possessive of her, when he has no right to be. And, he withholds intimacy from his wife. He says that he is “trying” in his relationship with her, but is he? The closest he has gotten to making a real effort with Addison is when he apologized for being distant, and admitted his part in what drove her into his best friend’s arms. But, after dipping his big toe in the waters of an honest relationship he seems to have returned to distance and coldness. Why does Derek stay with Addison? Good question.

On the other hand, the relationship between Christina and Burke is developing beautifully. Gradually they are both willing to trust each other more and more. They step out of their comfort zones while stepping toward each other. It’s a real relationship, and it’s fascinating to watch.

I don’t think Callie is the “one” for George, but she’s good for his confidence and his ego, and he’ll grow up a lot from that relationship.

I didn’t think either Alex or poor Denny were the “one” for Izzie. But, I think Alex may learn what it means to be a friend, a real friend, from his relationship with Izz.

Predictions for next season:

Watch out Meredith. If she was my friend I’d tell her to stay as far away from Derek as she can. I also know she wouldn’t listen. She’s young and for all her brilliance she can’t see what he’s doing. Derek is going to continue to dance around the situation. Will he leave Addison? I doubt it. I think he’ll keep both women on a string. With any luck Addison will leave HIM when she figures out what’s going on. Now there’s a character that has grown on me this season, from evil bitch to cool lady!

There’s a chance Derek will become overtly, and complexly abusive with Meredith next season. He might hit her; he will definitely go back and forth between kindness, jealously, rage, protectiveness, anger, etc. He will make her doubt her sanity. I think Meredith is confused enough that she’s not going to realize that the relationship is abusive unless he does something overt, like hitting her. And even then it may take her awhile.

George and Callie will run their course and end sometime during the season. Callie is too weird for George. She lives in the basement of the hospital, for God’s sake!

We haven’t seen the last of Izzie, no no; that character is just too fascinating to leave the show. But whether she’ll be reinstated to the program, or how that will all play out remains to be seen. It would be great if the writers for Grey’s would really show us how she handles her grief. I would say it will take her most of the season to work through this. She and Alex will become friends. I’ve had a fantasy of Izzie and George getting together for awhile now. Not yet though. George has to grow up more first.

Burke will propose to Christina. Christina will FREAK OUT. She’ll turn him down at first, of course, but by the end of the season they’ll be engaged.

The writers are going to have to do something about Meredith and Derek though. Think of the shows that have been built on a dramatically tense relationship – Friends, Cheers. Something has to give. Meredith and Derek are never going to end up happily together. Nuh-uh, not gonna happen!

I wonder if by next fall I’ll overcome my apprehensions about illegal downloads and start downloading Grey’s from one of those services so I don’t have to wait months before I can watch season 3.

Is there a better show on television right now? I think not!!!!


This afternoon I got the hell out of this apartment, even though it was just pouring down rain. A lady on the shuttle said that the signal had changed to black, at least briefly. I believe it, since at one point the apartment that is right across from our kitchen window disappeared in the deluge, but by the time I headed to Central it wasn’t so bad.

I went to the IFC, to check out the Zara’s there. I ended up buying a couple of skirts and some little shirts. Peasant skirts are all the rage here right now and they’re great in this sticky humid weather. I bought another peasant skirt and a jean skirt too, plus a couple of lightweight blouses. Now I need more lightweight sweater/jacket things for the air conditioning! There’s always something, isn’t there.

I’m going to meet Lee over in Kowloon for Indian food tonight. He’s coming back from China. He wants me to bring him dry shoes. That doesn’t sound good – I wonder how he got his feet all wet?

No comments:

Post a Comment