What This Is




When I lived in Hong Kong I started blogging. I used Yahoo 360, which no longer exists. Fortunately I saved all my blog posts to my computer. So, I've finally recreating my blog. No pictures, just writing, but lots of it, from our three years living in Asia. Lots of interesting stories (at least to me!)...if you want to find out what we're doing now, check out my current blog. If you want to read about life in Hong Kong from 2006-2009 start reading below!


Friday, July 29, 2011

Sunday May 28 2006 - Andrew and Calina's Wedding

Coming back to the US after only two months in a foreign country is one of those things the “cultural adjustment” advisors tell you not to do, but we did it anyway. We couldn’t miss the first wedding in the next generation! My initial impressions upon returning were two-fold. The first one was startling and fleeting – where did all the Asians go?! It’s the same as my first impression of Hong Kong, only in reverse. It’s surprising how quickly I became used to seeing a certain type of facial composition, and that Asian features had become the norm for me, almost without me realizing it.

The second impression is stronger and more profound in some ways. The US is SO EMPTY! Even rush hour traffic in St. Louis seemed like nothing. Driving from St. Louis to Columbia I just thought over and over - there is so much empty space, so much green expanse. I’ve had this impression before upon returning to the US after being abroad, but not in quite the same way. Returning to the United States after traveling in Central America back in the 70’s, I was impressed and astonished by our richness, and grateful that I lived here in a way that I had never recognized before. Returning from Europe was less amazing, but was a comforting relief; to hear English, to know the ins and outs of the culture without being confused, was very nice at the time.

But returning here from Hong Kong at this point is different. I’m having so much fun there, and I’m older, or something, so even though I don’t understand the nuances of the culture, it doesn’t bother me. It’s kind of like I like being “lost in translation” right now, at this point in my life. I can’t say that I really miss the US much at all right now, except for perhaps the grocery stores, and shoes stores where the shoes would actually fit my feet!

Andrew’s and Callina’s wedding was yesterday. Some of you that are reading this were there, so if I get a detail wrong send me a comment and correct me! The wedding was in Fayette, a small town about 30 miles outside Columbia. Fayette is about 1200 people. It is an old town, with a small college, Central Methodist, at its center. It’s a pretty town, with beautiful old houses, and a nice town square that seems to be undergoing a bit of a revival. There were a fair amount of new houses on the road into town; the commute from Fayette to Columbia is about 40 minutes over a twisting country highway, but I think the drive is becoming less of an issue for some people, because they can get such a nice place to live for not very much money.

The wedding was in the Methodist chapel on the college campus. The weather was brutal; bright, sunny and unseasonably HOT. Fortunately there was a nice breeze or we all would have melted. We took a bunch of pictures of the Nills and Schnells before the wedding, because we all just looked so pretty, and how often do you get a chance to photograph Daniel and Lee together wearing suits? There were maybe 100 people at the wedding, at the most. The tuxes, bridesmaid dresses, and the bride were just beautiful. Andrew is a grad student in Art, and Callina has just great taste. I bet their house will be one of those places that you walk into and go “wow”, not because it’s rich or opulent, but because things are so tasteful, and just seem to belong where they are.

The bridesmaid dresses were a light pink satin, floor-length, strapless. The best man and the groomsmen wore grey tuxes with light pink vests and ties. Everyone kept telling the guys how pretty they looked, but they seemed to take it very well. The flower girl was SO cute. She walked down the aisle throwing rose petals from a basket and just looking so proud of her important role. She wasn’t shy at all! The bride’s dress was just gorgeous; an off-white satin gown with a beautiful train, and a rosette on the side (I’m not describing this very well). I really liked how the train was proportional to the rest of the dress, not overwhelming, just beautiful and elegant.

The vows were traditional; I like that. I like the old-fashioned wedding ceremonies. At the end, there were a lot of glistening eyes in the audience. I glanced at Lee and of course he was blinking back tears. My sweet husband! But this was the first cousin…I know so many of us kept saying it just seemed like yesterday that he was stuffing an entire birthday cake into his mouth at his first birthday!!

The reception was at the bride’s parent’s house. They set up tents in their backyard, which had a beautiful view of the Missouri countryside. They have a trampoline, and a pond. The kids, freed from wedding behavior headed in that direction, and we didn’t really see much of them for the rest of the evening. The sun started to go down, and with the breeze it really was quite comfortable.

It was a relaxed, down-home reception. It was fun to sit around with Lee’s family, talk to his cousin Ann, just hang out with my kids and feel content and happy. Entertainment was provided by several teen-agers with an odd sense of humor, and a sweet girl with a beautiful voice and a guitar (I think Callina’s sister, but I could be wrong). Andrew and Callina looked so relaxed and happy. They were high school sweethearts (I almost typed childhood sweethearts and I think that’s not far from wrong). They’ve never dated anyone else. They just seem to go together really well.

I’m so glad we didn’t skip this wedding. It IS a momentous occasion in some ways. All the kids in that generation are starting to grow up. Even Blake, the youngest cousin, at eleven, is no longer a little kid! Andrew’s little brother Sam starts college at the University of Minnesota in the fall. Sarah will have 3 cousins in town with her – I think this family is developing a northern connection!


No comments:

Post a Comment