What This Is




When I lived in Hong Kong I started blogging. I used Yahoo 360, which no longer exists. Fortunately I saved all my blog posts to my computer. So, I've finally recreating my blog. No pictures, just writing, but lots of it, from our three years living in Asia. Lots of interesting stories (at least to me!)...if you want to find out what we're doing now, check out my current blog. If you want to read about life in Hong Kong from 2006-2009 start reading below!


Friday, July 29, 2011

June 25 2006 - Chilli Crab

Well, there’s no doubt that chili crab is everything Lee said it was, and then some. I had my doubts – how could something that sounded so messy to eat taste good enough to make it worth the hassle? I admit to great feelings of negativity about the stuff, but I was game…

Last night we hopped in a taxi and went to a place called East Coast Seafood. It was a group of open-air restaurants in an ocean-side park. Hordes of people sitting in plastic chairs by the sea; little kids running around in the dark and humid sea breeze. We found ourselves a table at one of the restaurants and I let Lee order the specialties – chili crab, pepper crab, Chinese tea, and pitchers of beer. Chili crab and pepper crab are Alaskan king crabs, partially cracked and covered in a delicious sauce, hence the extreme messiness of eating this stuff. They give you a couple packets of wipies, but no napkin. I had been warned, so I had an extra packet of tissues AND wipies that I had been collecting all day long!

WELL. The stuff tastes just great, really great! In Austin Lee had tried to introduce me to pepper crab at T&S seafood, but this stuff was 10 times better. It was messy, but not unbearably so. It was possible to go to work cleaning the meat off the crab, clean your hands with a wipie, and then grab your chopsticks and eat, without making a total pig of yourself. And I didn’t get it all over me either…halfway through the meal (and the first pitcher of beer) I declared to Lee that we just HAD to get the kids to Singapore at some point so that they could try chili crab! Daniel loves crab; its one of his favorite foods. Sarah won’t particularly like the messiness, but if Lee can stand it, so can she…

Now this morning our plans to exercise are a bit thwarted, because another tropical storm is thundering down. We could go to the fitness center however, and I might just do that in a bit…maybe….I’ve had a really nice time in Singapore; I’m so delighted that I’ve had the chance to finally see this pretty little country. We’ll be back, for sure….

No comments:

Post a Comment