What This Is




When I lived in Hong Kong I started blogging. I used Yahoo 360, which no longer exists. Fortunately I saved all my blog posts to my computer. So, I've finally recreating my blog. No pictures, just writing, but lots of it, from our three years living in Asia. Lots of interesting stories (at least to me!)...if you want to find out what we're doing now, check out my current blog. If you want to read about life in Hong Kong from 2006-2009 start reading below!


Friday, July 29, 2011

Thursday June 8 2006

Well you can’t fight cultural adjustment I guess! I think this week was my “crash”. Or is…..coming back to Hong Kong this time after the wedding, having a hard time with jet lag, the weather, the lack of sunlight….

I can’t say that I’m depressed, or that I’m sorry I’m here, or anything like that. If nothing else I’d say I just need sun! It’s so funny, because I can SEE the sun, far away over in Kowloon, but it doesn’t reach us here, half way up The Peak. I’m through gloating about being lucky that we don’t live way up there, because this time of year, the mist and clouds descend right down the mountainside onto us Mid-Level dwellers as well….

Today I stayed home. I had initially intended to go out, but I never quite got around to it. I had all sorts of small tasks to accomplish here, so my day was productive, if not particularly energetic. Tomorrow I’m going out into the city again, refreshed and rejuvenated!

What’s going to happen to this blog as I become more acclimated to life in Hong Kong, and it becomes more and more just “living”? What will I write about, when my days no longer seem exotic to me? What will it be like when Hong Kong is “normal”?

You know in a sense that’s what we’re striving for here. Its one thing to live in an exotic place to 2 or 3 months, its another when you’ve been here 6 months, a year, when the sights and smells and people start to seem routine. Then it becomes more of a challenge to find what makes each day here unique.

So, in the interest of finding the uniqueness in each Hong Kong day, let me report….

Chinese strawberries are prickly, tart, and have a seed in the middle! They’re not really strawberries, but I don’t know what they’re called. I can ask my Cantonese teacher on Monday.

I played with a photo management tool today on the computer, and printed large copies of the picture of the Nills as a family from the wedding, and also the one of Sarah and Daniel together. Sarah’s camera is leaking a little light and the one of her and Daniel had some white spots on it. So, I brought that picture up in Microsoft Paint, created a custom color to match the background, and touched up the white spots. When I printed the photo you can hardly see them. I’m pleased!

No comments:

Post a Comment