What This Is




When I lived in Hong Kong I started blogging. I used Yahoo 360, which no longer exists. Fortunately I saved all my blog posts to my computer. So, I've finally recreating my blog. No pictures, just writing, but lots of it, from our three years living in Asia. Lots of interesting stories (at least to me!)...if you want to find out what we're doing now, check out my current blog. If you want to read about life in Hong Kong from 2006-2009 start reading below!


Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Wednesday November 19 2008 Lynn Eats Spotted Dick


I went to a luncheon in Wan Chai today with a group of ladies that meet monthly for lunch, taking turns picking out the restaurant. Its fun; I make new friends, and get to see others that I maybe haven’t seen in awhile, plus trying new places to eat.

We went to a restaurant called The Pawn, in an old, restored building (something of a rarity in tear-it-down-and-reinvent-itself Hong Kong). The restaurant has a British theme. Hong Kong has great deals for lunch which are called “set lunches”. Often you can get a very nice two or three course lunch for around $10 US.

This set lunch’s three course option included dessert. One of the desserts was called, yes, you guessed it, spotted dick! Of course all the American ladies thought this was hilarious, but I was the only one brave enough to order it. The British ladies dining with us were bemused by our ignorant giggles, and informed us politely that it was a sort of bread pudding.

And so it was. I’m including a link to the possible origins of this strangely named dessert. http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2031/whats-the-origin-of-spotted-dick. The type I had (which was perfectly yummy by the way) must have been the Irish kind, which is a sweet pastry made from soda bread. It certainly wasn’t a suet pudding, whatever that is. I think of suet as something you would feed to birds, so I had to Google that as well.  Apparently it is “a hard fat obtained from sheep and cattle and used for making pastry and puddings”,  and all I can say to THAT is EW!

No comments:

Post a Comment