What This Is




When I lived in Hong Kong I started blogging. I used Yahoo 360, which no longer exists. Fortunately I saved all my blog posts to my computer. So, I've finally recreating my blog. No pictures, just writing, but lots of it, from our three years living in Asia. Lots of interesting stories (at least to me!)...if you want to find out what we're doing now, check out my current blog. If you want to read about life in Hong Kong from 2006-2009 start reading below!


Monday, August 1, 2011

Wednesday July 30 Just Checking In


Hey Everyone.

We had a week of blindingly hot and beautiful summer Hong Kong weather. Then a typhoon blew across Taiwan, and pushed hot, murky, polluted air into Hong Kong. It’s still hot and humid, but the views are gone and the air is just nasty. Actually it was a little better today, a little cooler and less polluted. It’s still murky though. It was down-right DARK up on the Peak this morning when I went running.

Speaking of running, in my head I’ve started training to run a ½ marathon this winter. I’m not really training yet; all I’m doing is getting back into running mode. I’m running 3 miles or so 3 days a week, and 5 miles one day. Two other days I’m walking, hiking, lifting weights or going to yoga, although I haven’t been going to yoga lately. I want to get the running well established again and then I’ll add some yoga back in, but just for cross-training. I’m kind of burnt out on yoga right now.

A ½ marathon is a lot of miles, 13 or so to be exact. That’s more miles than I usually hike. I’m apprehensive about it; I think if I follow the Jeff Galloway run/walk training program I’ll be able to do this. I hope so anyway. It’s kind of nice to have a goal. The race I’m aiming for is the Standard Charter Hong Kong Marathon in February. It will be cooler then anyway!

On the other side of the world…Daniel is busy getting ready to move to Taiwan for a year to teach English. Its nerve-wracking watching him get ready. We’re helping, buying his plane ticket, buying a laptop, probably giving him some cash to tide him over until he starts getting paid in Taiwan. This will be such a great experience for him. He needs some time to grow up a little more and some challenges to help him do that. This will certainly assist him in the growing up department! Now if I could just stop stressing about everything, will he get his visa in time, will the computer get there in time, will we get him the cash he needs in time. Yikes! On the other hand once he gets there and gets settled I’ll actually have a child in the same time zone as me, and only an hour away by plane. I kind of feel sorry for Sarah. All her immediate family members will be on the other side of the world.

I had lunch with Adrienne and Beth yesterday. It was really great to see them and just chat with Hong Kong friends. One thing I really have done right is follow the mandate about having several groups of friends because people come and go so much here. Then today I went on a “recon” trip up to Festival Walk for the AWA tour I’m leading next week. It was good. I’ve actually got that mall oriented in my head now. It can be very confusing, but there are some really good stores there, different stores that you don’t find anywhere else in Hong Kong. I found myself thinking about two years ago when Adrienne took me there for the first time and we were caught in a level 3 typhoon! My how time flies…

I’ve discovered something that’s not easy to find in Hong Kong – a paper shredder! I guess everyone’s on the honor system here so they’re not needed. It’s peculiar though; you have to look carefully at your credit card receipts because half the time your credit card number is printed out on them in full! Oh well. Its half my life here; searching for objects that must be available somewhere, but where?

No comments:

Post a Comment