What This Is




When I lived in Hong Kong I started blogging. I used Yahoo 360, which no longer exists. Fortunately I saved all my blog posts to my computer. So, I've finally recreating my blog. No pictures, just writing, but lots of it, from our three years living in Asia. Lots of interesting stories (at least to me!)...if you want to find out what we're doing now, check out my current blog. If you want to read about life in Hong Kong from 2006-2009 start reading below!


Thursday, July 28, 2011

Japan Tuesday April 18 2006

(Beth is one of the ladies I lunched with, and also the wife of a 3M
friend of Lee's. What's really nice is that I liked her a lot, and
Lee likes her husband. It doesn't always work like that, as you all
know!)
 
Oh my God I had so much fun today. For one thing it was fabulous
being with some American women, women with extensive international
experience, but still Americans. There's a common bond that's just
hard to explain to anyone else. A certain way of communicating, a
certain range of experience when it comes to child-rearing, careers,
husbands, etc.
 
And I have to say it right here: I'm so grateful to the upt. When
these Japan-expat ladies started talking about their bible study
groups and praying for someone, initially my liberal-Jewish warning
radar went up. But then, almost as quickly, so did my knowledge that
there are good, kind, fascinating, worth-getting-to-know women
behind this cultural difference. In FACT, I found myself wondering
if these could be upt ladies in disguise! Funny. For the rest of my
life I will probably feel an immediate bond with evangelical
Christians where-ever they might be, and all because of Jill and
Ginia….
 
I am feeling so cocky about riding the Tokyo subways. They are 10
times more complicated than HK, yet I find myself thinking, "What's
the worst thing that can happen?" The Japanese are so kind and so
honest all I have to do is stand someplace for awhile looking lost
and confused and someone will come up to me and say "English?" and
then proceed to help me. I can usually figure out what line to take;
my biggest problem this morning was trying to figure out the fare.
I've figured out that in general the fare is the same and if you
underpay you just use the fare adjustment window so I think I've
conquered that one too.
 
After lunch Beth took me on a tour that was just awesome. She took
me to the Hama-riku gardens…this was more Bonsai and less cherry
blossoms but still very pretty. Then she took me to a Japanese tea
house and we did a very simplified tea ceremony. How cool was
THAT!!!! She knows enough Japanese to make simple conversation with
people and break the ice. People would volunteer information about
things and she would translate for me. It made me long to know a
LITTLE bit of the language in Hong Kong. I hope I can learn
something over time. The tea house was fun, if a bit mysterious. We
took off our shoes and sat down on a felt carpet, along the tatami
mats. They brought us a bowl of green tea and a "sweet" which was
bean paste, but tasted just like marzipan to me. Almond paste, bean
paste…not much difference! They bowed, I bowed, and we smiled and
watched. Very simple, very beautiful.
 
After the tea ceremony we went on a water bus boat ride on the
Sumida river…. There are twelve bridges, each a different color.
The "yarrow" bridge, the "brue" bridge. We passed a building that
looks like a bottle of beer, and another building that looks like it
has a turd on top of it. The locals call it the poo-poo building,
and nobody seems to know WHAT it's really supposed to be. On the
boat with us were a group of Japanese school girls, all in uniform,
all as cute as could be. They waved to everyone on the bridges; some
people waved back; one Japanese businessman bowed seriously in
return. It was just the cutest thing I've ever seen. I took a
picture of them. It came out GREAT; it's my favorite picture that
I've taken so far of anything.
 
After THAT she took me to the imperial palace grounds. You can't
really go inside the gates, but there are all these Buddhist temples
around the periphery and lots and lots of Japanese tourist shops. We
had Starbucks, we took pictures and we ate another Japanese treat,
this one some kind of pastry with a piece of sweet potato inside.
 
At this point I decided that I was ready to take the subway back to
Yokohama. I didn't want to risk getting caught on the trains at rush
hour. If someone started squishing ME into a train it was possible
that I'd just slug them. Beth said it was fun but I might just save
that experience for another time.
 
I made it back to Yokohama just in time to go out to dinner with the
3Mers. We went to a Shabu-shabu restaurant, which is where you have
these pots of broth boiling in front of you on the table and you
cook beef and different vegetables in the pot and then eat the broth
with noodles at the end. It was delicious and it was fun talking to
the guys. Besides typical 3M guys from the US (including a lot that
had lived in Austin or St. Paul at one time or another) there were
guys from Taiwan, Thailand, Singapore, China, Japan AND Hong Kong
(natives I mean) and they were also fun to talk to and they told me
all kinds of stuff on miscellaneous topics from the subway system in
HK to different foods to try in different countries. Too bad they
were guys and really couldn't give me the lowdown on shopping!
 
I just had a great time today. Tomorrow will be more low-key. I'm
going to run, take my time and be lazy, and eventually take "the
number 8 bus" to the gardens outside of Yokohama. On Thursday I'll
meet Beth in Tokyo again and she's going to take me to the Edo
museum.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment