What This Is




When I lived in Hong Kong I started blogging. I used Yahoo 360, which no longer exists. Fortunately I saved all my blog posts to my computer. So, I've finally recreating my blog. No pictures, just writing, but lots of it, from our three years living in Asia. Lots of interesting stories (at least to me!)...if you want to find out what we're doing now, check out my current blog. If you want to read about life in Hong Kong from 2006-2009 start reading below!


Tuesday, August 2, 2011

I Just Can't Say Goodbye


I have said for some time that when I left Hong Kong I would start a new blog on another blogger website, so that’s what I’m about to do. Here I sit in Austin, starting to feel a little bit settled, at least for now. Hong Kong, Hong Kong…is it rainy and misty now? Probably; it’s getting to be that time of year. Are people scurrying around Central with wet feet and umbrellas? Is the humidity rising precipitously? I can’t really think about it much yet I realize; even though this is my least favorite time of year there (well okay actually May and June are the worst) just writing that sentence gave me a lump in my throat. So, not now. I’m sure there will be time to be sad later.

Right now I’m too busy re-acclimating to Austin. It’s a nice town, very arid compared to HK. There’s so much driving involved in living here; I’ve forgotten about that. I’ve gotten lost twice since we moved into our service apartment. We’re living up by the Arborteum; an area with which I’m unfamiliar, unless I’m going to Z Tejas! 

I don’t feel all that strange though, and for the most part I’m enjoying being back in the US. I love being in the same time zone as Sarah and my mother. Last night Sarah was watching Anthony Bourdain and texted me when they started to show an episode on Vietnam so we could turn it on too – how cool is that?!

The US has its own frustrations but I’ll get used to them again. Service people that don’t show up when they say they are going to is my current irritation but what can you do? So in Hong Kong they showed up on time for sure, but then couldn’t speak any English or wouldn’t speak to me because I wasn’t the “primary account holder” or whatever. Wow, I SURE don’t miss that!

So…I have piles of things to post but they are going on my new website once I get it set up. I’m leaving 360 because it is so limited – I want to be able to put pictures directly into my post and I am tired of the glitches in 360 that make a post from a year ago show up sometimes instead of the current one, or that prevent people from commenting when they want to.

My new blog will be at the following website: dreaming-of-asia-in-Texas.blogspot.com. There’s nothing there yet, but there will be soon! I have entries to post about our final travels in Asia, packing and leaving Hong Kong, and what its like to return to the US after living abroad for three years. I thought hard about what to call this blog, because I don’t know….will I still be dreaming of Asia a year or two from now? But I decided it didn’t really matter. It’s a catchy title ;) and Hong Kong and the rest of Asia have become part of me now, so yes, I’ll always carry them with me, in my heart.

No comments:

Post a Comment